I have a picky eater who refuses (almost) anything green, so I created this stage 1+2 baby food recipe. Otherwise known as, “How to Get Your Baby to Eat Green Beans.” At least in my experience!
You will need:
- 1/2 Cup Fresh or Frozen Green Beans
- 1 Pear, cubed and boiled, or poached. Core/stem removed
- Breast Milk/Formula, Optional
- Steam, saute or boil green beans until very soft and mushy. Set aside water from green beans, if boiled.
- Combine cooked pear and cooked green beans in a blender or food processor. If you have a Baby Bullet, use the larger attachment.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of the left over water into the blender until the purée reaches the *desired consistency. For added nutrition, add breast milk or formula in place of water.
- Let cool and refrigerate or pour into ice-cube molds. *Please keep in mind, if you put formula in as the added liquid, it is advised not to freeze this purée.*
One ice-cube is equal to about one ounce of food. Once frozen, cubes of baby food in freezer bags and label with the date for easy storage. These can be stored in the freezer for a month or two, but should not stay in the refrigerator for more than 48 hours.
*For stage one foods (4-6 months) you are looking for a runny consistency. For stage two, you are looking for a thick purée.
If your baby hates pears, try mixing a green bean purée with a food he or she loves. Other fruits that are a hit with Baby Z are prunes and bananas. If you are from the school of parenting that prefers to refrain from serving up fruits, try mixing this with sweet potato or beets.
Bon a petit!